Back to How to
Update your smartphone software
Keep your smartphone running efficiently by using the latest available software.
As of September 2011, a new firmware version is available for the Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate 4G. Before you update your smartphone, you need to know your current firmware version.
- From the Home screen, tap Applications.
- Tap Settings.
- Select About phone.
- You don't need an upgrade if the:
- Firmware version is 2.3.4
- Build number is GINGERBREAD.PTLKH2.
Before you begin
Before you begin, you will need the following:
- A fully charged smartphone battery
- The USB cable included with your smartphone at the time of purchase
- A computer with Windows operating system and the following system requirements:
- Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or higher), Windows Vista, or Windows 7
- 1 GB or higher of RAM (recommended)
- 1.8 GHz or higher Intel® Pentium processor (recommended)
- At least 500 MB of free hard drive space
- Screen resolution: 1024 x 768 (600), 32 bit or above
- Administrator privileges on the computer for software installation
- Access to a high-speed internet connection
- A working USB port
- Required software:
- .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
- Windows Media Player 10 or later
- ActiveSync (Windows XP), Device Center (Windows Vista)
- DirectX 9.0C.
NOTE: You will not be able to place or receive calls during the firmware installation procedure.
Uninstall older versions of Samsung Kies from your computer
Make sure to download the latest version of Samsung Kies software. If you have used a previous version of Samsung Kies, you will need to uninstall it from your computer before you continue. Do the following:
- Click Start.
- Click All Programs.
- Click Samsung.
- Click Kies.
- Click Uninstall Kies.
Older versions of Samsung Kies are uninstalled.
Download the software update to your computer
- Navigate your browser to www.samsungapps.com
- Click Download Kies.
- The File Download window appears. Click Run.
- Select the desired language and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Once the application is installed, run the Samsung Kies program.
Install the software update on your smartphone
- Connect your smartphone to your computer with the USB cable provided in the box.
- Select Samsung Kies.
- Wait for the Samsung Kies program to recognize your smartphone. Samsung Kies will display a pop-up icon to alert that there is a software update available.
- Click Update to begin the software upgrade process.
- Check the I have read all of the above information checkbox and select Start Upgrade.
NOTE: If the software update notification icon does not display, click the Firmware upgrade icon.
- To backup your contact data, ensure that the ' Back up your contacts before upgrading firmware' box is checked, then click Upgrade.
- Name the phonebook file and click Save.
- If Kies determines that a software upgrade is required/available, click Update.
- Review the Caution screen and check the I have read all of the above information checkbox and then select Start Upgrade.
- The Save Contacts to Kies server window appears. To:
- Save contacts to the Kies server, check the Allow saving checkbox.
- Not save contacts to the Kies server, check the Proceed without saving checkbox.
- Click Next.
- The Software will be downloaded from Kies server.
- NOTE: This process can up to 60 minutes. Once the software has been downloaded from Kies server, Gingerbread 2.3 upgrade will start.
- When the upgrade is complete, your smartphone will restart. Click Close to exit Kies.
The software update is installed on your smartphone.
If you are unable to upgrade your device, please call Samsung Social Hub support at 1-888-751-4078 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hours: 8:30AM to 12:00AM. Monday to Sunday.