Back to How to
Update your smartphone firmware
If your Android firmware version is not 2.2, you are eligible for a firmware upgrade.
Keep your smartphone running efficiently by using the latest available firmware.
Before you update your smartphone, you need to know your current firmware version.
- From the Home screen, press the Menu key.
- Tap Settings.
- Select About phone.
- If your Firmware version is 2.2, you don't need an upgrade.
- If you need to upgrade your firmware, follow the instructions below.
Before you begin
Before you begin, you will need the following.
- A computer with Windows operating system and the following system requirements:
- Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4), Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or higher), Windows Vista, or Windows 7.
- 256 MB or higher of RAM.
- 400 Mhz or higher Pentium-compatible processor.
- Administrator privileges on the computer for software installation.
- Access to a high-speed internet connection.
- A working USB port.
- A fully charged smartphone battery.
- The USB cable included with your smartphone at the time of purchase.
NOTE: You will not be able to place or receive calls during the firmware installation procedure.
Download the software update to your computer
- Navigate your browser to www.samsungapps.com
- Click Download Kies.
- The File Download window appears. Click Run.
- Select the desired language and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Once the application is installed, run the Samsung Kies program.
Install the software update on your smartphone
- Connect your smartphone to your computer with the USB cable provided in the box.
- Select Samsung Kies.
- Wait for the Samsung Kies program to recognize your smartphone. Samsung Kies will display a pop-up icon to alert that there is a software update available.
- Click Update to begin the software upgrade process.
- Check the I have read all of the above information checkbox and select Start Upgrade.
NOTE: If the software update notification icon does not display, click the Firmware upgrade icon.
- To backup your contact data, ensure that the ' Back up your contacts before upgrading firmware' box is checked, then click Upgrade.
- Name the phonebook file and click Save.
- If Kies determines that a software upgrade is required/available, click Update.
- Review the Caution screen and check the I have read all of the above information checkbox and then select Start Upgrade.
- The Save Contacts to Kies server window appears. To:
- Save contacts to the Kies server, check the Allow saving checkbox.
- Not save contacts to the Kies server, check the Proceed without saving checkbox.
- Click Next.
- The Software will be downloaded from Kies server.
NOTE: This process can up to 60 minutes. Once the software has been downloaded from Kies server, Froyo 2.2 upgrade will start.
- When the upgrade is complete, your smartphone will restart. Click Close to exit Kies.
The firmware update is installed on your smartphone.
Having trouble? Contact Samsung Social Hub Support at 1-888-751-4078 or email at email@example.com.