Back to How to
Update the software on your smartphone
Keep your smartphone running efficiently by using the latest available software.
Before you update your smartphone, you need to know your current software version.
- From the Home screen, tap Menu.
- Tap Settings.
- Select About device.
- Check the Android version.
It is recommended that you update your smartphone if the Android version is 4.1.2 or lower.
Install Samsung Kies
To update your smartphone, you need to download and install Samsung Kies.
- Launch the Web browser on your computer.
- Visit the Samsung Kies support page.
- Click Download for Windows or Download for MAC OS.
Save the file to your desktop.
- Once the download is complete, double-click the file to launch the installer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Samsung Kies.
While the software is installing, watch the Kies Tutorial to see how you can backup, and then update your smartphone.
Your smartphone is updated.